There is not much to say about Kerr Lake. Only one word comes to mind and it’s….. AH .MAY. ZING! This is just about the only word that describes our experience on this lake in North Carolina so far. This trip was the 4th campground we have stayed at on Kerr Lake out of 6…and it definitely did not disappoint! I think we actually decided J.C. Cooper Campground at Kerr Lake is on the top of the list when it comes to campsites we love! Give us 3 things- clean sites, lake side, and awesome camping weather- and we call that one perfect weekend!
About Kerr Lake
Kerr Lake, also known as Kerr Reservoir, is ginormous. We are talking 50,000 acres of water BIG. This lake runs along the Virginia and North Carolina border. Another super fun fact is that Kerr Lake has almost 850 miles of shoreline! This provides just about each and every camper who stays on Kerr Lake the opportunity to be lake side. We can’t speak for everyone, but there’s got to be a reason this campground is booked every weekend during peak summer! I am assuming the lure of being lakeside for $30 per night is the reason!!
Kerr Lake State Recreation Area has 7 campgrounds with over 600 total camping sites.
These are the 7 campgrounds:
- Henderson Point
- Nutbrush Bridge
- Kimball Point
- J.C. Cooper Campground
- County Line
Campsites offered at each campground:
- Primitive sites (no water or electric)- walk up, walk in, or hike in
- 30 AMP electricity hookup with water
- 50 AMP electricity hookup with water
Amenities at each campsite at J.C. Cooper Campground:
- Poles to hang your lanterns, bug catchers, or hammock.
- Large, spacious site pads filled with pea gravel.
- Picnic benches at each site. Some will have the traditional wood. Others will have the Trex faux wood material that holds up well to anything.
- Ring fire pit with the flat grill top option.
- Dedicated garbage cans for each site at the end of the site for easy waste disposal. The campground has site services that come to pick up trash daily.
- Large, clean bath houses. Some with changing area and shower area in each stall.
We absolutely love Kerr Lake and all its campgrounds! Visiting a different campground on this lake makes you feel as if you are in a different remote lakeside location each trip! Check out www.NCparks.gov for more info about Kerr Lake, all the campgrounds, trails, activities and how to book a campsite!